Terne Overpopulation Newspaper Article

March 21, 1884
       I saved this article from today's Terne Daily Gazette.  I guess it makes sense that, as a city that's only 9 square miles, Terne would become overcrowded one day. I just hadn't expected it to happen so soon. I thought I'd at least be retired before then. So that this would be a problem of the next generation, not mine.
       The last time the DHA had predicted such an increase was back in 1868.  I was only 11, but my stomach still hurts to remember that year.  The City Council rationed our food so much that we only ate meat once a week. Tea was a special treat.  By the second month of the rationing, I was sick of vegetable soup and pasta. You only feel full eating that for so long.
       I wonder what the City Council is planning this time...  They could enforce more strict rations, but that wouldn't solve the housing problem.  There'd still be hundreds of people sleeping in the streets if the DHA's prediction is accurate.  Well, even if the Council does ration the food more, it'll take quite a bit of effort on their part to make things as bad as in '68.
       By the way, I haven't heard from Molly lately.  I dropped by her apartment yesterday, but she didn't answer the door.  She's probably still sore about the Silver Train business.  I'll give her a few more days to sulk.

1 comment:

  1. I love it. You even have a newspaper to go with it. Makes it even more real to me. Can't wait for the next post.

    ReplyDelete