Conspiracy Theories

April 14, 1884
     
      I never thought I would succumb to conspiracy theories like Molly does, but my tangle with the police tonight kind of has me a bit paranoid...
      I broke into Molly's apartment just a while ago. I had to find that letter. I had to know if she really did just pack up her stuff and leave to go ride the Silver Train. I mean, how could she do something like that to me?  I'm her brother. Her only real family since Mother basically cut off her maternal instincts when they cut the umbilical cord. Even if I we did argue, she couldn't have just left without at least saying goodbye... That stupid brat.
      I had thought the City Council would've cleaned out all of Molly's things, shipped them off to Mother, and rented the apartment out to some new tenants. In which case, I decided to wear my complete boiler engineer uniform as a means to convince the new tenants to let me in. I would just show up, say I'm there to fix a broken pipe, and then I'm free to look for the letter while I "check the pipes."  I bet it would've worked, too, since just about everyone has at least one broken pipe. They just don't make pipes like they used to.
    The City Council did not rent out the apartment. Instead, there were two policemen guarding the door.  Eli warned me that the police have taken to watching the homes of people who have gone missing, but I guess I didn't really take him seriously. I mean, the man looked like he hadn't shaved in weeks or baths in months. And his terrible smell confirmed it.
      The only reason I can think of as to why the police would be guarding Molly's apartment--especially when housing is so scarce--would be the same reason I needed to break in:  the letter. Could it be that the police are part of the Silver Train scheme?  That they're looking for the letter, not to save my sister, but to remove all traces that the Silver Train was involved? It would make sense, considering their pathetic attempt at investigating her disappearance. They never wanted to find her.
      I wonder how high this goes... Is it just the police that are involved, or it the entire Department of Justice? Or could it go all the way up to the City Council? I just can't be sure at this point.

No comments:

Post a Comment