The Silver Train

April 14, 1884

      So much is happening lately that I wonder if my mind will implode if I stop and try to process it all. I meet two members of the Family in the same day, I break into my little sister's apartment, I am followed by someone--I can't even imagine who--and we find the Silver Train. That's right. Key and I found the Silver Train.
      It's real, and it's the most amazing locomotive I've ever seen. It just looks so majestic and powerful. Looking at it, I could easily believe everything in the Conductor's letter is true. There are stars out there. There are forests. And sunlight. And sunsets. And animals that aren't just bred to be eaten. And so much open space. Anything can be true if it's this train leading the way.
     Unfortunately, this train is being used for something...unusual. I would call it nefarious or dastardly, but Key and I still don't exactly know what they are doing. They load crates onto the train, and they have crates that were delivered by the train. Key opened one up and found a piece of unrefined nickel. If I were to hazard a guess, I would say that the City Council lied about the state of our resources. That maybe Terne doesn't have enough resources to support itself. If they are getting the nickel and other things elsewhere, though, then that means the City Council also lied about there being nothing usable or worthwhile beyond the dome. I never thought I'd live to see the day when I can no longer trust the City Council.
      What worries me most, though, are the people. They are loading people in scoop stretchers onto the train. I couldn't tell if any of them were alive, but either way I'm left with more questions than answers. What are they doing with these people?

No comments:

Post a Comment