Mother's Decision

April 12, 1884

       I cannot deny it any longer. Molly must be in serious danger. She's been missing for roughly a month now. Last week, despite Mother's objections, I went to the police to report Molly's disappearance. I even bought space in the Gazette for a missing persons ad. So far, though, nobody has responded to my ad.
       I can't count on the police to find Molly either. Two detectives stopped by Mother's house yesterday while I was visiting and told us that they were closing the investigation. They said that there were no leads into my sister's disappearance and that she had probably found a way out of Terne. That, since she was outside the safety of the city, she was most likely dead.
       Mother immediately stopped all the clocks in the house. She told me to throw crapes over the mirrors to keep Molly's spirit from getting trapped in the looking glass. I humored her. Even if that superstition were true, I highly doubt Molly's spirit would visit Mother's house over Molly's own home.
       The detectives are wrong, though. I know Molly's not dead. I can feel it. I told Mother so.
       "I know how much you miss her, Parnell," Mother told me, "but she's not coming back. If she made it outside Terne, I'm afraid there's no hope for my baby girl."
       She didn't want to hear another word about it. Instead, she decided to prepare for Molly's funeral. She pulled out black-bordered stationary and began writing letters to our family friends.
       I refuse to give up on Molly. I know she must be here somewhere. She needs me, and I will not fail her.

1 comment:

  1. An interesting story thus far. The plot seems solid, with room for expansion with what happens next. It can be difficult to write a story on a blog, but you've started well.

    There are two concerns though. We have some details about the world, that it is defiantly steam punk and everyone lives in a dome, but we don't have any other details about the dome. One of steam-punks most interesting features is the fantastical settings it creates, so more details about the milieu would be great.

    Also, the characters are currently two-dimensional. Between the mother instantly giving up on her daughter, and Parnell seems only interested in his sister and her well-being. In the further posts (because this story deserves to be continued) try to add some other thoughts or concerns for the characters.

    Good work~

    ReplyDelete