The Letter

April 14, 1884

      I found the letter Molly received from the Conductor. So it's true. She really did leave on the Silver Train. I hadn't thought it possible... that she really would leave me.
      As for this letter, the Conductor can't be serious, can he? Sure, Terne is a bit overpopulated at the moment, and we are a little short on food. But "not enough energy?" We have over three dozen industrial boilers in this city! We're producing so much steam and so much electricity that there's no way we can use it all. At least... That was the impression I got. We've never had any power failures or energy shortages... Maybe I should ask Dr. Everard about this next time I get the chance.
      Still, I can see why Molly was tempted. Do stars still exist outside the city? I wonder what they look like... I've seen the pictures in library books, but it just doesn't seem real... And forests? There's not supposed to be anything but desolate wasteland beyond the dome. Could there really be forests out there? With birds other than chickens? And sunlight? If only this letter didn't too good to be true... I would've asked Molly to take me with her.

No comments:

Post a Comment