Key

April 14, 1884

      I guess the Family doesn't have any normal people among its members. But that's to be expected of criminals, I guess.
      Even though Eli was a bit on the grungy side, at least he made an effort to blend in with the "regular people." I just met the other member of the Family he told me would be waiting at 22 Mercury. This woman makes no pretense of blending in. She wears pants, for crying out loud. I'm somewhat glad we haven't found Molly yet because I know how easily influenced she is.  Mother would have a heart attack if she caught Molly wearing pants. "Pants are for brutes," she says. "Dresses are for ladies." Then again, it might not be such a bad idea for Molly to follow this woman's example.
      By this woman, I mean Key. Or that's what she told me to call her. Eli did the same thing. It makes me wonder if these people actually have names or if only Family members can use their real names.
      I am glad, though, that I have Key helping me. She knows far more about Terne than I thought possible. She knew almost immediately what the phrase "crimping shop where the waters meet" from Molly's letter meant. With Key's help, I feel it's only a matter of hours before I have Molly safe and sound at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment